Author Topic: Change is in the Air: Updates to Yahoo! Messenger Features  (Read 2396 times)

Offline ~Dave~

• Global Moderator
  • E=MC?
Change is in the Air: Updates to Yahoo! Messenger Features
« on: December 01, 2012, 05:13:21 am »
Change is in the Air: Updates to Yahoo! Messenger Features
November 30, 2012 on 5:27 pm | In Features, Other services, Pingbox, Uncategorized, Voice | Comments Off

Here at Yahoo!, we aspire to make the world?s daily habits inspiring and entertaining. More than ever, we?re focused on building products that are beautiful and meaningful for our users. Sometimes, this means we have to make tough decisions ? like closing down features that we feel aren?t adding enough value for you. This helps us spend more energy on creating experiences that make Yahoo! the most fun way to spend your time.
With this in mind, we have decided to discontinue several Yahoo! product features. This will enable us to refocus our efforts on modernizing our core Yahoo! products experiences and of course, create new ones. You can find more details below, including how the closures will work.
Yahoo! Messenger Public Chat Rooms
The Yahoo! Messenger Public Chat Rooms will close down on December 14, 2012.
Yahoo! Messenger Pingbox
As of December 14, 2012, Pingbox will no longer be available on Yahoo! Messenger. If you?ve installed Pingbox on your blog or social networks, please click here to learn how to uninstall it.
Yahoo! Messenger interoperability with Microsoft Windows Live Messenger
Yahoo! Messenger will no longer be interoperable with Microsoft Windows Live Messenger as of December 14, 2012. Microsoft buddies will still appear on your Messenger contact list, but they will be greyed out, and if you try to send instant messages to them, the messages will not be delivered.
Yahoo! Voice Phone In and Phone Out feature
Effective January 30, 2013, we will no longer offer Yahoo! Voice Phone In and Phone Out capabilities, our co-branded landline and mobile phone service from Jajah. As of today, users can no longer add new funds to their accounts, and active users who currently have a balance in their accounts will receive emailed instructions in December from Jajah on how to request a refund. You can find more information on how to ask for a refund here, and you can contact Jajah with any questions at yahoovoice@jajah.com. Free Messenger-to-Messenger calls will still be offered through Yahoo! Messenger.
Thank you to everyone who have used these features. We plan to keep innovating and building great Yahoo! products that will delight our users in the years to come.

Direct link to it

http://www.ymessengerblog.com/blog/2012/11/30/updates-to-yahoo-messenger-features/
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 07:39:47 am by SomeGuyFromCanada »
  • Windows XP Pro
  • Windows 7 Ultimate (32Bit)
  • NIS 2012
  • YTK Enhanced (Latest)
  • VC Sync (Latest)
  • Yahoo! Messenger (Latest)
  • Y!Supra (Latest)
  • CCleaner
  • TuneUp Utilities 2012

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

SomeGuyFromCanada

Well chat is dead. Not much point in an update anymore.

SomeGuyFromCanada

More about chat being discontinued;
http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_MSNG&locale=en_US&id=SLN8407

The reason they're ending support for Windows Live Messenger is because Microsoft is focusing on Skype. Microsoft plans to discontinue Windows Live Messenger(MSN Messenger) by March 2013. They've been encouraging users to merge Microsoft accounts with Skype.

So there is no misunderstanding Yahoo! will continue to support Yahoo! Messenger the same way Microsoft did when they discontinued chat. Essentially you'll have the pager functions without chat. Voice conferences will still work probably.

It's been speculated for years that Yahoo! would end chat and with today's announcement it has been confirmed.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:02:14 am by SomeGuyFromCanada »

Offline ~Dave~

• Global Moderator
  • E=MC?
Court 'orders Yahoo to pay 1.7bn'

Internet giant Yahoo has issued a statement claiming it has been ordered to pay $2.7bn (?1.7bn) by a Mexican court.

A lawsuit had been filed by Worldwide Directories SA de CV and Ideas Interactivas SA de CV. According to the BBC, the lawsuit stemmed from allegations of breach of contract and lost profits related to a yellow pages listing service.

In its statement, Yahoo said it "believes the plaintiffs' claims are without merit and will vigorously pursue all appeals".

Perhaps unsurprisingly, shares in the company dipped 1.4% after the news broke.

Direct Link:

http://news.uk.msn.com//blog/trending-blogpost.aspx?post=c35818cf-d782-44bb-9a52-a26ef71c13ff&_nwpt=1

I just read this  :o
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:25:27 pm by ~Dave~ »
  • Windows XP Pro
  • NIS 2012
  • YTK Enhanced (Latest)
  • VC Sync (Latest)
  • Y!Supra (Latest)
  • CCleaner
  • TuneUp Utilities 2012

Offline AnyNony_Mus

Well chat is dead. Not much point in an update anymore.

If there are any current updates to the Messenger portion of YTK I hope you put those out. No sense doing any more development on a dead horse.

And yes, it does suck that chat is going the way of the dodo, although with all the chat crap that's around these days it's not unexpected.

RIP yahoo! Chat

SomeGuyFromCanada

If there are any current updates to the Messenger portion of YTK I hope you put those out.

I am not sure if anything has been updated. Or what the plans are now for YTK. I've contacted Brock and Adam. I am sure they'll post soon.

Offline ~Dave~

• Global Moderator
  • E=MC?
All I can say, is to just wait till after the 14th of this month. Whatever new ones they creating is a wait and see game right now.
  • Windows XP Pro
  • NIS 2012
  • YTK Enhanced (Latest)
  • VC Sync (Latest)
  • Y!Supra (Latest)
  • CCleaner
  • TuneUp Utilities 2012

SomeGuyFromCanada

And it's gone

Offline ~Dave~

• Global Moderator
  • E=MC?
What is next?  :-\
  • Windows XP Pro
  • NIS 2012
  • YTK Enhanced (Latest)
  • VC Sync (Latest)
  • Y!Supra (Latest)
  • CCleaner
  • TuneUp Utilities 2012

Offline Dragon

• Enhanced User
  • I am crazy
I don't know if this is true or not but I heard a rumor that Yahoo is going to be bringing the Chat Rooms back but the system will be more like Paltalk and you will have to pay.
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600k CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory: 4GB DDR2.
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 SE 1GB ram
Hard Drives: one 1TB internal, one 750GB external, one 1TB external.
Firewall/Anti Virus: Comodo Internet Security Version 5.9.221665.2197
Browsers: Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421/FireFox 10.0.2/Google Chrome 17.0.963.56
Windows 7 Home 64 bit All Updates Applied,
Windows XP Home 32 bit All Updates Applied
Yahoo Messenger 11.5.0.192
YTK Enhanced 2.6.0.108
YTK Pro 1.5.4.499
VC Sync 2.0.0.2

SomeGuyFromCanada

Paid chat didn't work well for MSN. Plus MSN was heavily moderated.