Author Topic: Latest Version of 64-Bit Firefox Variant 'Waterfox' Available for Download  (Read 1456 times)

Offline morete

Waterfox is a 64-bit Firefox derivative. In fact, it claims to be the ?fastest 64-bit variant of Firefox.?

Read about it first on the link and see if you want to give it a try.  I have been using it for a while now.  It's very fast and bug free.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/latest_version_64-bit_firefox_variant_waterfox_available_download

YTK Enhanced Version 2.6.0.108
Yahoo! Messenger Build (11.5.0.228-us)
HP OEM modded desktop PC
Windows 7 64-bit OS SP1
Firefox 14.0.1
G Data InternetSecurity 2013 Version 23.0.4.0

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

SomeGuyFromCanada

I think Firefox 11 is suppose to be 64 bit when it's released.

Clusterphuck

Been using Waterfox since it's first release.

Offline mutilation

so  whats better waterfox or firefox ,, and so mozilla is  gonna  finally start release stable 64 bit releases
Service Pack: 1
Root Drive: C:
Memory DDR3 25 Gig's Of Ram 24 Gig's Use able
CPU Unlocked I7 Quad Core Extreme Edition 4.0 GHz
CPU Count: 6
Default Browser Name: Comodo Dragon
Yahoo Messenger Ver: 11.0.2014
YTK-Enhanced Build 2.6.0.108
Administrative Rights: True
And 2X 4 GB ATI Radon 6900 Graphics Card
Norton Internet Security 2012

Clusterphuck

It doesn't matter actually.

As for Mozilla releasing x64 stable builds, they may not for some time to come however they do release x64 Nightly builds.

Offline Adam X

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • "I can hit a target through a telescope!"
I'm using WaterFox because of it's 64-bit native compilation (not 32) because I'm running a 64-bit OS with more than 4GB of RAM. By doing this you avoid the Windows-on-Windows (WOW) emulation/translation layer that bridges all 32-bit applications through your 64-bit operating system (and then to your 64-bit CPU). The other big point of Waterfox is that the regular 32-bit Firefox builds that are released are cross-platform, meaning they work on multiple operating systems such as Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows. The problem with MOST cross-platform software of this nature is that it's almost never optimized for a single operating system or CPU architecture (x86/x86-64, ARM, IBM PPC etc) and since *nix operating systems often use these other CPU architectures the instruction sets can be drastically different with common Intel-compatible instructions for performance being unsupported.

So, what Waterfox actually IS is a native 64-bit compilation (compiled program) of Firefox 9.0's codebase (currently this is the newest final public release) that is optimized for 64-bit operating systems with CPU instruction set extensions for optimization enabled -- stuff like MMX+, SSE & SSE2, eventually SSE3 and SSE4 and soon (hopefully) some AMD64-specific instruction support for 3DNow+ etc.

Waterfox is first and foremost for 64-bit-based operating systems to allow it to have access to extreme amounts of RAM/system memory (much higher memory addressability than 32-bit programs) and for higher performance to be achieved by focusing on the two major (mostly only Intel right now) CPU architectures... Intel and AMD CPU's. By targeting/making use of their hardware instructions for performance specifically (via compiler options and flags turned on that correspond to them), you end up with a noticeably higher performance, faster, more responsive browser.

I haven't tried Pale Moon yet only because the 64-bit compiled offering is based on the now dated Firefox 8.0 codebase where with Waterfox they're already using the 9.0 source code. However, Pale Moon has a 64-bit high performance variant of Mozilla Thunderbird too, which is an e-mail client I use and have used daily for many years.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:27:17 pm by Adam »

Offline Adam X

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • "I can hit a target through a telescope!"
I'll mention something I think is important to know as well. Operating systems that are designed for 32-bit programs/execution, on Windows for example, are given a maximum of 4GB of total addressable memory to use unless PAE is enabled. However, given that the core OS services and components also NEED this finite physical memory themselves, the operating system explicitly limits these applications to about half of this (~2GB). This isn't a lot of memory to use for taxing applications, especially when several intensive resource-hungry processes are running simultaneously.

With a 64-bit OS you have accessible memory that is exponentially greater (into the exabytes!) that is potentially usable by the operating system. For Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Enterprise 64 the maximum RAM limit is up to 192GB. These OS editions are considered desktop editions. The 64-bit SERVER editions of windows can ALWAYS and will always address higher amounts of physical memory because that's what they're designed to be used for... high workload resource-hungry servers. Windows Server 2008 R2, for instance, can use up to 2TB of RAM (Data Center and Enterprise editions). This is obviously far more than their Windows desktop edition OS counterparts. The role of the operating system (server/workstation vs. desktop edition) is just as if not more important than the 32 vs. 64-bit debate when it comes down to using system memory over the traditional 32-bit 4GB barrier.

Physical Address Extensions support (in Windows) can allow a 32-bit operating system to address up to 128GB instead of the normally limited 4GB last I checked. This works through some clever tricks (remapping memory etc) to extend them to be able to use > 4GB when that RAM is installed and available. Other "solutions" like ReadyBoost that allow you to use Flash drives etc to increase the total amount of system memory is slower but a good technology nonetheless. With a higher amount of addressable RAM your applications will be able to use more physical memory, which is fast, with less swapping to hard disk (ie. paging, virtual memory) which is definitely slower. Applications use the pagefile / swap to provide "virtual memory" by reading and writing (i/o) to your hard disk(s) to allow the programs to use less physical memory when running. This is great for a RAM-limited system but if you've got many Gigabytes or even Terabytes (in Server edition roles) of actual physical memory then using the swap file for page-pooled virtual memory will degrade performance. Using non-page pooled physical memory will always allow higher performance because of the i/o overhead cost associated with virtual memory. Operating systems that are 64-bit can allow you to use so much RAM (if you've got it) that you don't need to rely on your swap/pagefile nearly as much and in some cases (high-end 64-bit Server OS's) you technically wouldn't even need to use it at all (Windows crash dump reports are written here so I'd never recommend disabling it in most cases).
^
Disabling the pagefile / swap virtual memory support is something I'd recommend only if you have a high or reasonably high capacity SSD (Solid State Drive), provided you also have enough RAM in your system. Paging virtual memory (pooled memory) on an SSD can and eventually will wear out the drive, reducing it's lifespan, sometimes considerably. I believe this is being worked out in newer models as SSD's are becoming more advanced and durable. As a general rule of thumb all that excess disk access can wear it out though. This shouldn't be much of a problem in high-end current and next generation SSD's, we hope.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 08:56:54 pm by Adam »

Offline Dermot

I've been running 64bit Firefox since version 9 and now I'm on 12 alpha 64bit and also use 64bit IE 9.

While they perform fine, they do have some variant issues at times, specially in alphas, but then I'm using it for those challenges.

Would suggest if you do use a nightly at http://nightly.mozilla.org that you also join the nightly news mailing list @ https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/nightly-testers.

Great source for problem solving, issues tracker and tips.

Offline Dermot

on a side note, the fastest 64bit version of the firefox branch is palemoon which is specifically optimized for 64bit.

you can find it at http://www.palemoon.org :)

you should see the scores over at http://html5test.com also, strangely enough..no top browser is #1!

SomeGuyFromCanada

Ran the test from my iPod and it said 324 + 9 bonus points out of 500.